Saturday 11 August 2012

Elsecar Skelter 27m 2012

What a great event this is. Miles of lovely scenery, not too many long hills, great views, well stocked checkpoint (biscuits, sandwiches, canned fruit in bowls, bananas and apples and of course lots of cake at two of them). Pie and peas at the end and all this for £8.50
The views from Wharncliffe Craggs are very special. The many follies and churches are also interesting and helped me to forget how far we had to go - I kept being surprised at how far we had come.










No cramp this week and we were able to make good progress finishing in 5hr 23min which knocks 35min of Melanie's pb (she has only done LDWA marathons so far - road marathons and their water stations are going to be a bit of a shock !). It is her third marathon and second within six days. I think she is hooked
I made one mistake. I got a bit complacent with the route and blindly followed the route I did two years ago without looking at the map or the route description. We ended up going through shoulder high nettles and both our legs were throbbing for the rest of the day from all the stings. Looking at the route description later, we missed a new right turn, but we soon picked up the route again




I hope they run it again next year, we chatted to the organiser and encouraged him

No comments:

Post a Comment